The first weekend of the Yass Polocrosse Club’s 2019 season was at Burradoo across March 9 and March 10, which combined with the Annual Southern Highland Zone Presentations for the 2018 season.
The weekend proved a fun weekend for the kids and a relaxing one for the adults, and a good time for all.
The youngsters evidently spent much of the weekend playing with and training grasshoppers, according to a post on the club’s Facebook page, while the competitors strutted their stuff on the field.
The Yass 1 side were in the A Mixed division and enjoyed a successful weekend as they gave a number of young horses a run.
The Yass 2 side were in the B Mixed competition, and had “a good weekend getting their groove going” the club said and put on a further display of scintillating polocrosse in the final against Milton.
The Yass 3 side competed in the C Open, and played “unbelievably well” against very high quality opponents, which earned them a respectable win-loss record of 2-2 by the end of the weekend.
The club signed off its report on Facebook by adding that “the kids had a great weekend and all played well”.
Yass Club members were in the winner’s circle for both the Burradoo Club competition and the 2018 Annual awards:
Results from Burradoo weekend competition:
- Yass 2 winners of the B Mixed
- Sub-junior Encouragement – Cleo Carter
- Best sub-junior horse – Johnnie Erland’s “Online”
- Best and Fairest sub-junior – Rainer White
- Under 21 Female Sportsmanship Award – Prue Bucknell (2 years running)
- Best B Grade Player – Misty Mitchell
The Annual Southern Highland Zone Awards for 2018 Season – Yass Winners
- Best Sub-junior Girl – Olivia Erland
- Best Sub-junior Boy – Riley Clark
- Encouragement Junior – Bejay Mitchell
- Most Improved Junior – Dylan Huey
- Most Improved Female – Aimee Keogh
- Best B Grade Female – Samantha Carter
- Best B Grade Male – Ryan Slater
- Best A Grade Female – Tara Mouat
The club’s congratulations go out to Ryan Slater who was selected in the NSW Under 21 team competing in New Zealand this month.